- About Bent Creek
- Special Events
- First Call Wine Club
- Bent Creek Calendar
Bent Creek Winery
Shredded Beef Sandwiches with Savory Sauce
INGREDIENTS for the Shredded Beef
1 beef brisket (about 5 pounds)
1/2 tsp natural liquid smoke flavoring
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dry mustard
sliced sour dough bread or sour dough rolls, halved
2 cups savory sauce
INGREDIENTS for the Savory Sauce
2 TBS vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 TBS minced garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup malt vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 tsp natural liquied smoke flavoring
DIRECTIONS for the Shredded Beef
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the brisket in a roasting pan and brush on both sides with liquid smoke.
3. Combine the salt and the spices in a small bowl and mix well. Rub this into the brisket.
4. Cover the roasting pan and bake until the brisket is fork tender, about 3 & 1/2 hours.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and use two forks to pull the meat apart in the pan juices, shredding it coarsely.
DIRECTIONS for the Savory Sauce
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a medium size sauce pan.
2. Add the onion, garlic, cumin and cayenne and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the remaining ingrerdients and simmer, stirring until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Makes 2 cups of sauce.
DIRECTIONS for the sandwiches
1. Spoon about 2 TBS of heated sauce over bottom half of each roll or slice of bread.
2. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, pile 1/2 to 1 cup shredded beef on the bread slice or roll, depending on your preference for sandwich thickness.
3. Spoon 2 to 3 TBS sauce over the meat and cover with another bread slice or the top half of a roll.
4. Serve these hearty sanwiches with a hearty wine, Bent Creek Red on Red. Enjoy!